Education and Career Guidance (ECG)
ECG is a developmental process which encompasses engaging, inspiring and challenging our students to develop aspirations and plan proactively for their future.
It is about equipping students with the necessary knowledge, skills and values to make informed decisions at each key education stage for successful transition from school to further education or work, and hence to manage their career pathways and lifelong learning throughout their lives.
The goals of ECG are to:
- Nurture student’s self-awareness, self-directedness and life skills for continuous learning and training;
- Enable students to explore viable education and career options through the provision of accurate and comprehensive information;
- Inculcate an appreciation for the value of all occupations and how they contribute to the well-functioning of society;
- Equip students with skills and means to positively engage their parents and other career influencers.
Key ECG Messages For Students
Discover Who You Are
- Continually develop your interests, abilities, and passion; and use them to contribute meaningfully to society through your future professions.
Everyone has a set of unique attributes. The more you know about what you value, what you are interested in, and what you are good at, the more likely you will be able to make good choices in your education and career explorations.
Navigate Pathways with Confidence
- Learn more about the world of work, education, and career pathways that you can choose. Many pathways are worth taking, and there are opportunities for continuous learning and recognition.
- You can take pride in and add value to any job.
Appreciate that each one of us can make the choice to perform our jobs to a high professional standard, and contribute to the bigger outcome.
Make Informed Decisions and Own Them
- Make considered decisions about your education and career plans, and take positive steps to embark on them.
Make decisions based on your interests, attributes, and aspirations, while considering current and future career opportunities. Take ownership of your goals, and take steps towards fulfilling them.
Keep Learning. Be Resilient.
- Develop 21st century competencies, values, and workplace readiness skills to be adaptable and resilient.
To thrive in a globalised economy and navigate meaningfully, you must:
- Establish sound values;
- Seize every opportunity to develop transferable soft skills such as: cross-cultural communication skills, problem-solving skills, and team work;
- Inculcate an appreciation for the value of all occupations and how they contribute to the well- functioning of society;
- Continually develop workplace readiness skills such as literacy, numeracy, and technical skills throughout life.